21 March 2021
I figured I would give a quick update around the connectivity issues I was having earlier. In my last post I ended up rage quitting because the entire setup process took ~45 min, and within a few minutes of playing the headset disconnected and wouldn't reconnect (without restarting my computer). Windows wanting to update, the Oculus app thinking that a game was still running when it wasn't, etc...
Oddly enough when I tried playing again the following day, everything just worked and it followed the status-quo game launching progression. Again - I still very much dislike how many steps are involved to launching a Steam App, but it at least worked.
- Boot into Windows
- Start the Oculus desktop app
- Put on the headset
- Open the "Oculus Link" (Opening the connection to the desktop and launching the Desktop app VR environment in the headset)
- Open Steam VR
- Select the game you want to play.
I'm guessing that the reason why the connection was being lost so frequently was due to the cable being jostled from moving around. My first attempt at fixing the disconnection involved making a single loop with the cable and attaching it to the headset with a velcro zip tie. The thought process was that if the cable was pulled from the computer end, it wouldn't directly pull on the headset end, but first have to go through some slack.
Note to self: Post pictures of the setup.
While the single loop setup did help, it wasn't perfect and still got jostled periodically. My second attempt improved on the first fix by doubling the number of loop locations on the headset. This time with 2 loops: One on the side right before the cable is plugged into the headset, and one at the top.
The 2 separate loops work a lot better than the single one. I think that next time I make adjustments to the cable management, I will simply combine the 2 separate loops into a single point.